Posted On: April 04, 2016
The Kids’ Cancer Project has committed an additional $200,000 in funding to complete the Phase I DFMO (difluoromethylornithine) Clinical Trial.
The trial is an exciting international collaboration offering hope to children with hard-to-treat relapsed neuroblastoma with the drug.
“We are delighted to receive further funding from The Kids’ Cancer Project to continue their support of the DFMO clinical trial for children with relapsed neuroblastoma,” said Professor Michelle Haber AM Executive Director, Children’s Cancer Institute.
Neuroblastoma is the most common tumour diagnosed in young children and is extremely aggressive with survival rates of less than 50 per cent for children with high-risk disease.
“Current treatment options for relapsed neuroblastoma are minimal, with very low likelihood of survival, so new treatments for this devastating cancer are urgently needed,” explained Professor Haber AM.
“We are extremely thankful for the support of The Kids’ Cancer Project and their donors, as together we are working towards saving the lives of children who deserve a healthy future,” she said.
This study has already shown promising results, as reported in Declan’s story last year.
The Phase I clinical trial aims to establish the maximum tolerated dose of the drug DFMO in combination with other drugs. This can hopefully lead the way to the development of a more effective treatment of relapsed high risk neuroblastoma.
The international clinical trial for children with relapsed neuroblastoma, being led by Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick, is the result of ground breaking research by Children’s Cancer Institute. The cost of the DFMO for this clinical trial is being supported by The Kids' Cancer Project and Lions Childhood Cancer Research Foundation.
Donate to research and help find more effective treatments for kids with cancer.